Wednesday 29 April 2009

Busy or not?

Sometimes days go by and I don't speak to a soul. I need this quiet time. The world today seems like such a busy place. Have you noticed that other people ask you, 'are you busy?' When you answer that you are, they usually say, 'good!'. But what is so great about being busy?

I spent many years being busy, but in truth I got little done - not really. I felt stressed and confused as I tried to convince myself that the busier I was, the more likely I was to succeed. Then I realised that this isn't actually the case, and that I wanted a life where I can choose to be busy, or choose to lie in the garden watching the birds - if that's what I wanted.

It wasn't easy to change, and there are still some days I catch myself being too busy. But now, on a day to day basis I mostly choose what to do. The first two days of this week I was flat out, so this morning I decided to go for my five mile run. It was tough, as it usually is, compounded by my legs aching from a 35 mile fast bike ride at the weekend. But I came home, had breakfast and shower and a cuppa and then decided yeah OK, maybe I can do some work now.

My creativity was enhanced. I was able to make quick decisions on a current project and I handed over some work that I was finding time consuming and fiddly. The fact is that when we are too busy, we don't have a lot of room for creativity. Those creative moments can be the difference between a life fulfilled or a life overshadowed by stress.

Which would you choose?

Take care

Jan
Tel: 0800 634 3320
http://www.thepeoplewhisperers.co.uk/

No comments: